Health goals are achieved every day at the YMCA
Often our health and wellness is not our top priority. That’s why the Y offers a variety of health and wellness programs to help you learn, move and connect for better health. At the Y, we believe that better health means a better life.
Whether you’re experiencing a chronic condition and needing support, looking to change your lifestyle to include healthy habits, or looking to meet new friends, we’ve got programs to help you start putting your health and wellbeing first.
Community Health and Wellness Workshops Achieving good health is more than just working out. We offer workshops and community programs to increase your knowledge and confidence for better health and well-being.
Diabetes Fit Your smart start to healthy living with pre-diabetes or diabetes. Virtual Programs January 2021
Community Health and Wellness Workshops
2021 Virtual Workshops-Supporting your health and wellness at home.
Please note that all workshops will be hosted on ZOOM. Time will be included at the end of each workshop for questions and answers. Workshops are free for YMCA members & non-members. Registration information below.
|Tuesday March 8, 2022 | 11:00AM – 12:00PM|
Speaker: Meagan Meade R.Kin
Get a fresh perspective on how your posture can affect your health. Attend this workshop to gain insight into what posture is, how it affects us and take away some practical tips, tricks and exercises to support beneficial postural positions. To get the most out of this workshop have a broomstick, open wall space to stand against and a stable chair ready.
|Wednesday March 23, 2022 | 6:30PM – 8:00PM|
Speaker: Dave Patterson R.Kin
SHOULDER PAIN: ANATOMY, INTERVENTIONS, EXERCISE
Shoulder issues can range from simply bothersome to quite painful and debilitating. What are some of the most common injuries of the shoulder and how do we treat them? Come learn about shoulder issues and the types of exercises and interventions that are appropriate for such conditions.
|Wednesday April 6 & 13, 2022 | 6:30PM – 8:00PM|
Speaker: Katelyn Corke R.Kin & Meagan Meade R.Kin
WALKING WELL INTO SPRING
For many of us walking has become our primary form of exercise. But what does it mean to walk well? Attend this two-part workshop to better understand and explore walking through simple, intentional exercises. You will also leave with tips and tricks to change up your walking routine.
How to Register for Workshops in Three Simple Steps:
Please note that you must register at minimum 2 hours in advance of the workshop start time. Registration for each workshop closes 2 hours prior to the scheduled start time of the workshop.
1. Use the "Click to Change Date" button to select the date of the workshop you wish to register for.
2. Click on "Filter by Location" and select Virtual Wellness Workshops.
3. Select the workshop that you are interested in, and fill out the form if you are a non-member or simply log in if you are an existing YMCA member.
If you need support with your registration, please connect with us.
Are you struggling to get started with healthy habits like exercise? Have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or have risk factors that put you at high risk of developing diabetes? Join Diabetes Fit to change your life, one step at a time.
- Build your movement confidence-participate in guided exercise, at the right pace for you with support from qualified exercise professionals. Learn the steps to safe and effective exercise.
- Increase your nutrition knowledge-learn about building healthy eating habits through registered dietitians.
- Expand your support system-work with caring YMCA wellness coaches and connect with others working towards similar health goals.
- Get active- move more throughout your day in a way that makes you feel better and improves your health.
- Diabetes Fit is a 12 week program with one 90 minute session per week. FREE for YMCA members & non-members. Virtual and in-person programs are available. Access to a device and internet for ZOOM video conferencing is required to participate in virtual programs.
Upcoming VIRTUAL DIABETES FIT PROGRAMS
1. Thursdays 6:30-8:00 pm September 15-December 1, 2022
Upcoming ON-SITE DIABETES FIT PROGRAMS
1.CAMBRIDGE: Wednesdays 2:30 -4:00 pm September 14-December 7, 2022
2. KITCHENER: Tuesdays 6:30-8:00 pm September 20-December 13, 2022
3. KITCHENER: Thursdays 11-12:30 pm September 15-December 8, 2022
To express your interest in joining one of our upcoming programs, please complete our online form: https://bit.ly/FALL2022DIABETESFIT
For more information please contact Marsha Phillips email@example.com 519-743-5201 x 2113
Comments from our Graduates
"Participating in Diabetes Fit helped me to understand why exercise was so important to control my blood sugars and to live a healthier lifestyle. My questions were answered. I felt very alone in my journey to wellness before, but knowing I could ask questions in this group really helped me to feel calmer about my pre-diabetes diagnosis and gave me lots of inspiration on setting goals to help improve my health."
"My instructors were so inclusive of everyone in the class and modified things accordingly. They were very welcoming to all!! I felt very comfortable and learned a lot. I did not feel intimidated to participate as they were so accommodating to all."
"The program touched all areas of healthy living and helped to motivate me to do more. Small changes have big results."
Learn how one of our wellness program participants changed his life, and decided to give back to help others do the same.
|Diabetes Fit is supported by the Waterloo Wellington LHIN |