Health goals are achieved every day at the YMCA
Often our health and wellness is not our top priority. That’s why the Y offers a variety of health and wellness programs to help you learn, move and connect for better health. At the Y, we believe that better health means a better life.
Whether you’re experiencing a chronic condition and needing support, looking to change your lifestyle to include healthy habits, or looking to meet new friends, we’ve got programs to help you start putting your health and wellbeing first.
Community Health and Wellness Workshops Achieving good health is more than just working out. We offer workshops and community programs to increase your knowledge and confidence for better health and well-being.
Diabetes Fit Your smart start to healthy living with pre-diabetes or diabetes. Virtual Programs January 2021
Community Health and Wellness Workshops
2021 Virtual Workshops-Supporting your health and wellness at home.
Please note that all workshops will be hosted on ZOOM. Time will be included at the end of each workshop for questions and answers. Workshops are free for YMCA members & non-members. Registration information below.
|Monday November 1, 2021 | 6:30PM – 8:00PM|
Speaker: Katelyn Corke R.Kin
Get a fresh perspective on how your posture can affect your health. Attend this workshop to gain insight into what posture is, how it affects us and take away some practical tips, tricks and exercises to support beneficial postural positions. To get the most out of this workshop have a broomstick, open wall space to stand against and a stable chair ready.
|Thursday November 18, 2021 | 9:00AM – 10:30AM|
Speaker: Meagan Meade R.Kin
November is Falls Prevention Month. Falls affect everyone, and we all have a role to play in preventing them. Attend this workshop to learn more about fall prevention, including steps you can take right now to work towards preventing falls.
|Wednesday November 24 , 2021 | 6:30PM – 8:00PM|
Speaker: Dave Patterson R.Kin
LOW BACK PAIN: ANATOMY, INTERVENTIONS, EXERCISE
Low back pain is an extremely common and occasionally debilitating condition. Come learn the fundamentals, including evidence-based ways to self-manage this difficult issue.
|Monday November 29, 2021 | 6:30PM – 8:00PM|
Speakers: Meagan Meade R.Kin and Katelyn Corke R.Kin
EXERCISE FOR BONE HEALTH
Join us in a practical workshop to learn more about how bone strength changes over time and how to make daily activities spine safe. We will also explore safe and effective exercises to help maintain your bone health. To get the most out of this workshop please have a broomstick and stable chair ready. There will also be an option to practice ground to standing movements.
|Thursday December 9, 2021 | 9:00AM – 10:30AM|
Speaker: Meagan Meade R.Kin
Are you interested in learning more about mindfulness? Attend this workshop to explore what mindfulness is, learn why more people are adopting mindfulness practices, and how you can incorporate mindfulness into your life.
|Thursday December 16, 2021 | 9:30AM – 10:30AM|
Speaker: Meagan Meade R.Kin
KEEPING ACTIVE IN COLD WEATHER
Attend this 1-hour workshop to learn about different ways to continue to be active outdoors as we move into winter. During the workshop we will explore activity options, as well as safety considerations, and tips and tricks to make being outside more enjoyable.
How to Register for Workshops in Three Simple Steps:
Please note that you must register at minimum 2 hours in advance of the workshop start time. Registration for each workshop closes 2 hours prior to the scheduled start time of the workshop.
1. Use the "Click to Change Date" button to select the date of the workshop you wish to register for.
2. Click on "Filter by Location" and select Virtual Wellness Workshops.
3. Select the workshop that you are interested in, and fill out the form if you are a non-member or simply log in if you are an existing YMCA member.
If you need support with your registration, please connect with us.
Are you struggling to get started with healthy habits like exercise? Have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or have risk factors that put you at high risk of developing diabetes? Join Diabetes Fit to change your life, one step at a time.
- Build your movement confidence-participate in guided exercise, at the right pace for you with support from qualified exercise professionals. Learn the steps to safe and effective exercise.
- Increase your nutrition knowledge-learn about building healthy eating habits through registered dietitians.
- Expand your support system-work with caring YMCA wellness coaches and connect with others working towards similar health goals.
- Get active- move more throughout your day in a way that makes you feel better and improves your health.
- Diabetes Fit is a 12 Week program with one 90 minute session per week. FREE for YMCA members & non-members. Virtual or in-person program options available. Access to a device and internet for ZOOM video conferencing is required to participate in virtual programs.
ONLINE DIABETES FIT PROGRAMS - January 2022
1. Tuesdays 11:00 - 12:30 pm January 18 - April 5, 2022
2.Wednesdays 2:30 -4:00 pm January 19 - April 6, 2022
3. Thursdays 6:30-8:00 pm January 20 - April 7, 2022
IN-PERSON DIABETES FIT PROGRAMS - January 2022
1. KITCHENER (A.R. Kaufman Family YMCA) Tuesdays 6:30-8:00 pm January 18 - April 5, 2022
2. WATERLOO (Stork Family YMCA) Thursdays 11:00-12:30 pm January 20-April 7, 2022
3. CAMBRIDGE (Chaplin Family YMCA) Thursdays 10:30-12:00 pm January 20-April 7, 2022
4. GUELPH (YMCA-YWCA of Guelph) Thursdays 9:00-10:30 am January 20-April 7, 2022
To express your interest in joining one of these programs, please complete the online form: https://bit.ly/WINTER2022DIABETESFIT
Interested in participating but have questions? Please contact Marsha Phillips firstname.lastname@example.org 519-743-5201 x 2113
Learn how one of our wellness program participants changed his life, and decided to give back to help others do the same.
|Diabetes Fit is supported by the Waterloo Wellington LHIN |